In our two-part interview with actress Hwang Jung Eum, who is currently the female lead in ‘Endless Love’ on ONE HD, we further delved into her thoughts on her recent marriage to golfer and businessman Lee Young Don, as well as her plans in the future.
Check out Part 1 of our interview with Hwang Jung Eum on her roles in dramas here.
1. Are there any of projects that you rejected that performed well?
Nope. There are quite a few I can say “I did well by not doing it” instead (laughs).
2. Do you go online to social media to check on what people are saying about you?
I’m not really good with technology, surfing on the internet etc. So the only thing I do to see what people are saying is to look up my name. In the past, I would laugh because at the negative comments but things are different these days. When I read a comment from viewers on my acting, I will tell myself that people have sharp eyes and I need to work on it.
3. You are getting married soon! Are you ready for the new phase of life?
I have many concerns. Does being married mean a new life? When it comes to work, do I need to work harder to prove myself? It’s a crossroad in my opinion. I have many friends who either got married or are pregnant. You will never be ready for it. (laughs)
4. Marriage can be a turning point for an actress.
Yes, I want to reach a career peak before I get married. And once I am married, I will set new goals for myself.
5. Are there reasons why you are involved in more dramas than movies?
Most of the good projects I got were dramas. When I shot the movie “Death Bell”, my acting was at a ‘sitcom level’. I thought the filming speed or the system were not for me. On the contrary, it’s more interesting for dramas to get fast feedback after the episode got broadcast. I do want to do movies now though.
6. You seem to have a clear vision of how you want to live your life.
I am not too hard on myself. I don’t really take care of how I look. I don’t go on diet too. I’m the kind that goes like ‘why do I need to diet?’ I just cover it up with stylish clothes.
7. What’s something, career wise, you want to do next?
I haven’t tried a sageuk. I’ve asked around and they said it’s very hard, so I don’t know how I feel about it yet.
8. You are always challenging yourself; we sense that you’ll attempt a sageuk (historical drama) soon!
Right! I will get to it someday.
9. How does an actress approach the age of 32?
I think the best age for actresses is from 30 to 36. I’m at this time of my life. I’m going to rest first, then I must bloom like a flower in my next project.
10. What books are you reading these days?
My father’s always asked me to read up if I don’t know something. I am reading the book ‘Search Within Yourself’, a book given to me by Kim Jin Man, the director of ‘Kill Me, Heal Me’.
That’s it for our two-part interview with Hwang Jung Eum! Don’t forget to catch ‘Endless Love’ which airs every Tuesday to Friday at 7.45pm on ONE HD (Astro B.yond Channel 393). The last episode will be aired on 4th March 2016.