Gangwon-do is a province in South Korea. Every year, Gangwon receives the most snow, from November to March. With an average of 250cm of snow, the temperature drops to an average of -4.8 degrees throughout winter, making Gangwon one of the best locations to be this winter – not to mention its eight large-scale ski resorts.
Gangwon-do’s Recreation Resorts
There are eight large scale recreation resorts in Gangwon, which is often frequented by locals and tourists from all over the world. With optimal ski conditions, skiers can demonstrate their full capacities. Let us introduce briefly on the eight ski resorts in Gangwon-do.
- Alpensia Ski Resort
- 700m above sea level, this resort has been designed by Cunningham Group which is associated with the development of world’s famous theme parks such as Warner Bros. Movie World and Universal Studios. It features facilities which includes the main stadium, ecological golf courses, world-class ski slopes and ski jump slopes to host the Winter Olympic Games 2018.
- Elysian Gangchon
- a 40 minute train ride from Seoul is what it takes to guarantee exciting and comfortable skiing with slopes suited for beginner, intermediate and expert skiers.
- Hansol Oak Valley
- with nine variously themed slopes, express lifts, and world-class half pipe courses, the snow park is a fusion project that combines a ski resort, golf course, and condominiums.
- Welli Hilli Park
- designed by Paul Matthews of Canada’s ECOSIGN, Welli Hilli Park is the host of the 2009 Snowboard World Championships. All slopes are opened to snowboarders; the Half Pipe Park, exclusive for snowboarding, is most popular among snowboarders.
- Daemyung Vivaldi Park
- easily accessible from Seoul, Daemyung Vivaldi Park is a leisure complex with water themed park, golf club and horse riding club.
- Bokwang Phoenix Park
- boasting with a natural valley slope of 1,050m-tall Mt. Taegi with outstanding snow conditions, this is the best ski resort in Korea with 12 world-class slopes, 8 ski chairlifts, 6 sun-kid lifts and a modern gondola made by Doppelmire.
- Yongpyong Resort
- is Asia’s second ski resort to be certified by the International Ski Federation. With many successful winter sports competition held here, the resort has been very popular among skiers from Europe and other parts of Asia.
- High 1 Resort
- with a short history but with amazing facilities is one of the major ski resorts in Korea. High 1 resort is a big complex of accommodation, golf, themed park, ski and casino.
Ski festivals in Gangwon
- VIVA SKI Festival @ Daemyung VIVALDI PARK
- Daemyung Vivaldi Park offers All-Day-Pass with in depth basic ski lessons. Good news for Muslim Travelers as Prayer room is provided and halal certified restaurants are available inside Vivaldi Park.
- Other activities such as experiencing the Jjimjilbang (Korean Sauna), Indoor waterpark, Outdoor Hotspring or even horse riding is available for visitors who are not keen on skiing.
- Fun Ski & Snow Tube Festival @ Yongpyong Resort
- held from mid-December to early March at Yongpyong Resort,it offers a fun and exciting winter experience with skiing and snowboarding lessons taught by expert instructors
- Go! Go! Ski @ High 1 Resort
- held from the peak of winter in mid-December to early March at High1 Resort, visitors can take part in expert-taught skiing lessons of varying difficulty as well as performances and events to experience the beauty and charm of Korean culture
- KISC (Korea International Ski Camp) @ Alpensia Ski Resort and High 1 Resort
- As customized days and nights ski package exclusively offers to individual tourists, KISC can be customize within accommodations, meals, ski lessons (with level tests), fun activities and a competition.
Where is your destination this winter season?