Jung Kook and Charlie Puth collaboration song up for Song of the Summer
Pre-Show Performers and other Social Categories announced
MTV today unveiled the Social Categories for the 2022 MTV “VMAs”:
- GROUP OF THE YEAR: Beginning Saturday, August 20 at 12 pm ET (Sunday, August 21 at 12 am SGT), fans can vote for “Group Of The Year” in a bracket-style voting on @MTV’s Instagram Story. Nominees are:
- City Girls
- Foo Fighters
- Imagine Dragons
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Silk Sonic
- SONG OF THE SUMMER: Starting Tuesday, August 23 at 12:30 pm ET (Wednesday, August 24 at 12:30 am SGT), fans can vote for “Song Of The Summer” in a bracket-style voting on MTV’s Instagram Story. Nominees are:
- Bad Bunny & Chencho Corleone – “Me Porto Bonito”
- Beyoncé – “BREAK MY SOUL”
- Charlie Puth – “Left And Right (feat. Jung Kook of BTS)”
- Doja Cat – “Vegas (From the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack ELVIS)”
- Future ft. Drake, Tems – “WAIT FOR U”
- Harry Styles – “Late Night Talking”
- Jack Harlow – “First Class”
- Kane Brown – “Grand”
- Latto x Mariah Carey – “Big Energy (Remix) ft. DJ Khaled”
- Lizzo – “About Damn Time”
- Marshmello x Khalid – “Numb”
- Nicki Minaj – “Super Freaky Girl”
- Nicky Youre, dazy – “Sunroof”
- Post Malone with Doja Cat – “I Like You (A Happier Song)”
- ROSALÍA – “BIZCOCHITO”
- Steve Lacy – “Bad Habit”
- ALBUM OF THE YEAR: Starting on Saturday, August 27 at 11 am ET (Saturday, August 27 at 11 pm SGT), fans can vote for “Album Of The Year” through tap-to-vote on VMAs Instagram Story. Nominees are:
- Adele – 30
- Bad Bunny – Un Verano Sin Ti
- Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
- Drake – Certified Lover Boy
- Harry Styles – Harry’s House
Dove Cameron, MTV PUSH artist Saucy Santana and Yung Gravy are set to perform during the 2022 “VMAs” Pre-Show. Hosted by Nessa and Kevan Kenney, the 90-minute event will feature coverage from multi-platinum selling artist Tate McRae, who joins as a special celebrity correspondent. Murda Beatz will be the Kraft Singles House DJ.
Fans can also watch the 2022 “VMAs” Pre-Show on Twitter @MTV starting at 6:15PM ET (Monday, August 29 at 6:15am SGT), featuring additional digital exclusive breaks – including retrospective red carpet fashion, jaw-dropping celebrity stage moments from “VMAs” past, and celebratory reviews of today’s biggest performers and nominees.
- Dove Cameron
- The rising superstar is nominated for her first Moon Person in the “Best New Artist” category, Presented by EXTRA® Gum. The singer and actress will make her “VMAs” Pre-Show debut with a sure to be showstopping performance.
- Saucy Santana
- The current MTV Global PUSH Artist for the month of August and hitmaking rapper will take over the “VMAs” Pre-Show stage for a performance of his smash single “Booty.”
- Yung Gravy
- The MC known for his RIAA certified platinum-hits “Mr. Clean” and “1 Thot 2 Thot Red Thot Blue Thot” as well as his new chart-topping single “Betty (Get Money)” joins the star-studded lineup of Pre-Show performers.
Show premiere in Southeast Asia:
Fans in Southeast Asia can follow @mtvasia and @VMAs on Instagram and Facebook as we bring you more updates and the most epic moments from the show. Tune in to the full show airing on the Paramount Network channel on September 2 at 6pm (TH, WIB), 7pm (SG, PH) and 8pm (MY).
Previously announced “VMAs” news includes:
- VMAs EMCEES: LL COOL J, Nicki Minaj and Jack Harlow are set to anchor the 2022 “VMAs,” introducing the night’s biggest moments and star-studded lineup of performers, presenters and winners. (more info)
- PERFORMERS: Anitta, BLACKPINK, J Balvin, Jack Harlow, Kane Brown, Lizzo, Måneskin, Marshmello x Khalid, Nicki Minaj, Panic! At The Disco and Red Hot Chili Peppers are among the can’t-miss performers set to take the iconic MTV stage. Additional names to be announced soon (more info).
- GLOBAL ICON AWARD: 8x “VMAs” winner Red Hot Chili Peppers will receive the prestigious award.
- VIDEO VANGUARD AWARD: Global superstar Nicki Minaj will receive MTV’s coveted honor (more info).
- NOMINATIONS: Doja Cat, Jack Harlow and Harry Styles now lead with the most nominations (8), followed by Drake, Kendrick Lamar and Lil Nas X (7), Billie Eilish (6); BTS, Dua Lipa, Ed Sheeran, Future, Lizzo, Taylor Swift and The Weeknd (5) closely follow. Full list here.
- VOTING: Fans can vote for their favorites across 22 gender-neutral categories by visiting vote.mtv.com before noon on Saturday, August 20th, thanks to Burger King®. Voting for “Best New Artist,” presented by EXTRA® Gum, remains active into show, taking place on August 28.
- THE VMAs EXPERIENCE ON ROBLOX: As a companion to the first-ever “Best Metaverse Performance” category, fans launch into a custom Moon Person immersive experience, complete with a virtual red carpet, music and dance themed activities, exclusive in-game experience rewards, and can vote through today for their favorite “Best Metaverse” performance (more info).
- CREDITS: Bruce Gillmer and Den of Thieves co-founder Jesse Ignjatovic are Executive Producers; Barb Bialkowski is Co-Executive Producer. Alicia Portugal and Jackie Barba serve as Executives in Charge of Production. Wendy Plaut is Executive in Charge of Celebrity Talent. Lisa Lauricella is Music Talent Executive.